Kids Oughta be covered


TTY 1-800-955-8771

Non-Citizen Information

What is a qualified non-citizen?

In general, children eligible for Florida KidCare must be U.S. citizens. However, the federal government classifies some non-citizen children as "qualified aliens". These children are eligible. Also remember that some persons born outside the United States may be citizens.

Examples of Non-Citizen Children Who May Be Eligible

  • Children with Lawful Permanent Residence
  • Refugees
  • Asylees
  • Cuban and Haitian entrants
  • Amerasians
  • American Indians born outside the United States
  • Dependent children of Active Duty United States Military Personnel or veterans
  • Children paroled into the United States for a year or more
  • Children who have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a U.S. citizen with approved Violence Against Women Act case
  • Children victims of Human Trafficking certified by the Office of Refugee Resettlement
  • Iraqi and Afghani Special Immigrant Visa holders

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a parent's immigration status part of eligibility?

No. The Florida KidCare application does not ask about parents' status.

Does Florida tell the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) I am applying to Florida KidCare?

No. The state of Florida cannot provide any information to the USCIS about people applying for Florida KidCare or medical benefits. (However, people who apply for cash assistance or food stamps can be reported if they reveal they're under a final order of deportation or not lawfully present.) Remember, the child's immigration status — not the parent's — is considered for Florida KidCare eligibility.

Will enrolling a child in Florida KidCare harm me in adjusting my status through USCIS?

No. Regulations state that health care cannot be used to deny individuals admission to the U.S., to bar legal permanent residence, or to deport. (May 25, 1999, Administration Policy Announcement directed to all federal agencies.)

Does Children's Medicaid give my social security and income data to the USCIS or the U.S. Department of State?

No. A 1997 federal decision requires this information to be confidential.

Is my Social Security number required?

No. A parent’s social security number is not required; however, Healthy Kids may continue to ask for your social security number to verify income and for use in other data matches. Inability to give a social security number will not affect your child’s eligibility for Florida KidCare. A 1997 federal decision requires this information to be confidentially handled.

Is my child's Social Security number required?

To be eligible for Florida KidCare, your child's Social Security number is required unless your child does not have one. If your child does not have a Social Security number, you have to provide a date that you applied or attempted to apply for a Social Security number. If your child is eligible for Medicaid, you have to provide a letter confirming your application for the Social Security number.

How do I complete the Social Security number section on the Florida KidCare application?

If your child has a Social Security number, write it on the application in the spaces provided. If you have applied for a Social Security number for your child but have not yet received a number, write the date you applied for the number on the line where it says "Date SSN applied for." If your child is not eligible for a Social Security number or you tried to get one and weren't allowed to apply, write the date that you tried to apply for a Social Security number on the line where it says "Date SSN applied for." If your child is not eligible for a social security number but IS eligible for Medicaid, the Social Security Administration will give your child a number so that he or she can get health insurance. Call your local Department of Children and Families office to provide you with a letter to take to the Social Security Administration office so your child can receive a number.

If I enroll my child in the Florida KidCare program, can I later be asked to pay back the money?

No. Neither the state of Florida nor the USCIS can require you to repay a lawfully received benefit. They will not accept it even if you want to pay it back.